Commercial - Head of Insight and Analytics
PureGym is recruiting a Group Head of Insight and Analytics to step-change our use of data to unlock superior performance. We are looking to hire a smart, ambitious, hard-working individual with the appetite to solve complex problems and lead a small but high-calibre function.
We are the second largest gym operator in Europe. The Group comprises PureGym, the leading operator in the UK, Fitness World, the number one gym business in Denmark, and BaseFit, the largest low-cost operator in Switzerland. We operate a low-cost model and trade from over 500 sites with more than 1.5 million members. Our proposition is underpinned by a technology-enabled offer delivering high quality, affordable fitness that can be accessed flexibly.
PureGym are going
from strength to strength on our growth journey; at the end of 2021, we received
and investment of £300m from KKR, who have joined Leonard Green Partners as
private equity shareholders. With our strong position in core markets and
potential for many more sites, we are very optimistic about the future!
We are data-rich, and the insight this allows provides huge scope to improve how we run the business. Accordingly, a key strand of our group strategy has been to develop a best-in-class insight and analytics function to constantly improve decision-making and deliver continued market-leading performance.
This is a key role within our business, leading a function that adds critical value to some of the key decisions we make.. It is a high-profile and senior position that will report directly into the Group Commercial Director, leading a small but well-skilled team that is agile, nimble and very focused on value added to the business.
The essence of the role is to use data to help us make faster, more effective decisions across a wide range of functions including pricing, product development, new site selection and capital investment in our existing estate. Recent examples include building models to predict when members will leave and developing proprietary tools to help select new sites.
In addition, this role will partner very closely with Data Engineering colleagues to help the business develop best-in-class architecture, both for reporting and for advanced data science.
In the last two years we have put in place a best-in-class datalake structure with associated analytical and modelling technologies, with demonstrable value added across a variety of business functions. This provides a great platform to build on as we seek to further invest in the team and technology.
Areas of responsibility
There are three main areas of responsibility:
- Create and manage the analytical agenda – work with a broad base of colleagues and functions to identify the most important problems in the business on which we can bring data and analytics to bear. Scope, plan, and manage the delivery of models, tools, and insights that create value for the business. Get into the detail to develop and challenge the work of the team. Constantly look both within the business and externally for new ideas and concepts to improve decision making.
- Manage and develop the team – lead, coach and manage a small but high-calibre team of data scientists, insights managers and analysts across multiple geographies. Set high standards and lead by example.
- Support the development of our technical architecture – work in close collaboration with our Lead Data Engineer and Architect to build a group-wide architecture and technology solution that will deliver the analytical and reporting requirements of the business. Facilitate the technical choices and investment decisions. Take ownership and have governance of data sources and KPI definitions. Note, a technical background is not needed, but some understanding and a willingness to learn are important
We are looking for an ambitious individual with extensive experience and a passion for leveraging analytics to drive business transformation. In particular, we value a proven track record of using data and insight to solve business problems and add tangible value.
Domain knowledge and expertise is important, but the following core attributes are essential:
Excellent problem-solving: someone who
can apply their mind to many and varied business problems and make a
substantial personal contribution to solving them
and curious: constantly seek to learn and find new and better ways of doing
things; not just solving problems but seeking them out; always interested to
find new and better methods and technologies
industrious, ‘hands-on’: take the initiative and get things done under
their own steam
· A practical intellect: find meaningful application of the methods and models developed. While the problems we solve require a sharp intellect, the solutions must be simple to apply and demonstrate clear value
and engaging: natural ability to engage with colleagues from across the
business, to understand their business issues, and facilitate practicable
· A great communicator: able to translate complex concepts and analyses into digestible recommendations that can be easily interpreted and acted upon
Qualifications and prior experience:
- Circa 8+ years’ experience in consulting or industry
- Background in eCommerce or subscription-like businesses, for example media, mobile phones, financial services, gaming
- Experience of conceiving, building and managing the creation of analyses, tools and models – has ‘been there and done it’
- Quantifiable and specific impact of prior roles
- Track-record of having led and grown a team
- Working knowledge of the tools and technologies an advantage, but not essential
If you are looking for your next challenge in a growing business with the opportunity to define the Insight and Analytics function and deliver key strategic objectives at group level, this could be your perfect next step.
apply ASAP with your CV.
- Pay Type Salary
- Kings Cross, London, UK